21 - Today Was a Fairytale

"A ball?" I question, "Like one from Cinderella?"

He nods his head and slides a soft pink envelope across the table; we were currently grabbing a coffee from Queens.

It didn't dawn me until the third time I read the invitation that it was a ball held by the Patton's. Audra's family to be exact, and it was the annual Patton winter gala that I had never been invited to... Until now.

"Are you going?" I ask.

He gives me a laugh that exposes a cute little dimple.

He nods, I sigh. "Okay, fine I'll go as well."

His lips then quiver into a small smile, he's been smiling a lot more recently and I have this silly dream that it's because of me.

In fact, I've been dreaming a lot about him recently. No, I've been dreaming a lot of him and I together. The impossible.

* * *

Four hours pass and I've managed to find a gown worthy of the gala. The only bad thing about it is that it's a wedding dress; my goal is to make it look like I'm an ice princess of some sort and not make people think I'm about to walk down the aisle.

Not that I wouldn't now mind walking down the aisle.

The doorbell chimes and I open it to see a very dapper looking Eros. He's wearing a suit with a cute bow tie and everything and I'm swooning like a thirteen-year-old girl. Finding out I like him is ruining my life and I sure as hell need to get rid of these feelings before I fall even deeper.

But, then again I want to fall deeper.

I mean I know he doesn't like me and thinks love is idiotic, I wish I could yell at him that he was idiotic. But, maybe if I try really hard he'll feel an ounce of emotion for me.

"Orion?" he calls out, breaking me from my trivial thoughts.

I give a small smile and take his hand in mine, walking out the front door with the guy I've come to like.

Never knew what having a crush on somebody truly meant. Like it's a crush because in the end, my hearts ought to be crushed.

And wouldn't it be funny if Cupid's heart got crushed, saying that Cupid is a matchmaker that couldn't quite make a match for himself/herself.

Hilarious, except I wouldn't be laughing. Because I would be too busy crying. Because I'm Cupid. The Cupid that couldn't quite make a match for herself.

* * *

Formal balls aren't like the fairytales at all. There is no bippity boppity boo. It's literally just a large room of arrogant rich snobs. The food isn't even that great.

I expected that I would stick around Eros, trailing him like a lost puppy. However, that was anything but the case because the moment we stepped in a fiery redhead pulled him away.

I think she said her name was Fleur or Flour or something. Whoever she was I didn't like her too much.

The first hour was a cocktail hour where I stood in the corner of the sparkling room eating mini burgers and such. Overhearing want-to-be-aristocrats' gossip.

"It's about time Fleur marries, I married at the age of seventeen and she's already nineteen. Isn't it about time for her to rise to the occasion, after all, she is Serena's daughter... This Eros she introduced is quite the looker... If only I was twenty years younger."

...

"Who's that hot one with Fleur?"

...

"They're a beautiful couple."

After two hours of being isolated, vulnerable, and very alone I had enough.

I looked across the ballroom for the fiftieth time to see Eros' dancing happily with Fleur.

He must feel the same emotion for her as I feel for him.

I needed a breath of fresh air; I excused myself from the ballroom and went to the balcony.

It was tough liking somebody who didn't feel the same. The distant sound of music and my sighs filled the air.

Then I felt arms wrap around my body from behind. A spark ran through my body.

"Eros?" I questioned softly.

The man rests his hand on my waist and snuggled his chin on my shoulder.

"Yeah," he said, confirming my suspicions.

"Eros?" I asked again.

"Hm?" he mumbled.

I placed my hands on his and moved them to wrap around my body. He didn't dare move them away.

"Please stay with me here," I replied.

"Of course, I'll stay with you for as long as you would like." he replies in just above a whisper, his lips just against the back of my left ear.