Chapter 17

Cameron glared at Nate, seemingly numb by the words that splurted from his mouth. She stared at him, watching him leave the room without saying another word.

She gasped and then glanced at the papers laying on the bed. Stiffly, she lifted the file and opened it. She read the contents, eyes widening with every word that came across her line of vision. Information about her past was printed on the paper, alarming her. She swallowed the lump that formed in her throat when she read about the mistakes she had committed in high school and college. Her dealings with drugs, her misbehavior... Everything. Pictures of her with different men! But how could they attain such pictures?!, she thought.

She flung the file onto the wall, not wanting to read anything more, then she plopped herself on the bed, facepalming. Tears stung her eyes, but she decided not to cry...she was way stronger than tears.

Some minutes later, Cameron began packing her things, after which she went to the bathroom, with the intention of taking a shower. If Nate didn't want her here she wasn't going to be a push-up. And why did he care so much about the stupid article anyway, Cameron thought, He knew of her reputation and this was all an act, so why the hell was he so angry.

"F*ck him", Cameron muttered to herself, bounding her hair in a ponytail.

She had to admit she was a bit hurt, but such was life. You won some, you lost some. She stepped into the shower, allowing the warm liquid to pound against her skin, sluicing down her body. Cameron stood in the same place for a while, before she soaped her body. Everything came rushing back to her. The wonderful night she and Nate had shared and then the most horrible morning after. She felt the heavy lump in her throat and she couldn't stop herself, no matter how hard she tried. She choked out a sob and her tears went to mingle with the water of the shower.

She placed her palms against the wall and bought her head down to the surface, her body racking with sobs she had no control over.

<><><><><>

Nate reentered the room about fifteen minutes after his departure. He wanted to see if Cameron had started packing and if she had read the things in the file. He was furious and disappointed although some part of him knew he shouldn't be. He knew Cameron's reputation before all this, but having Emily hand him that file along with the rest of his family. He felt humiliated and angry; even more so when they had shared a glorious night of passion, only to be awakened to this shit.

He saw her nowhere in the room, so he thought she was in the bathroom, which she was because he heard the shower running. He leaned his back against the wall and sighed heavily, wondering if he had been too harsh towards her. Well what's done is done, and he had no intention of trying to make things right...not after all that.
He left the door and moved towards the bed and sat, noting the ruffled bed sheets and the scattered clothes in certain corners of the room.

Cameron emerged from the bathroom some minutes later, in a simple silk robe wrapped around her, and her hair bound in a towel. The breath hitched in her throat when she saw Nate sitting on the bed, their eyes immediately locking. They stared at each other for what seemed like hours, until Cameron moved off in the direction of her suitcase.
She pulled out a royal blue leggings, and a sheer creme top, immediately discarding her robe, leaving her in a panty and a bra.

Nate watched from the corners of his eyes and he ground his teeth, remembering how she felt beneath him and the softness of her ivory skin. He sighed, trying to ignore the sudden stirring in his groin, but flashes of that night came crashing in.

He rose from the bed and strolled from the room, trying to get Cameron Crawford out of his system.

After pulling on her clothes, Cameron brushed her hair and applied a little makeup to her face then she grabbed her bags. Inhaling a deep breath, ready to face the world, Cameron opened the door and went downstairs.

<><><><><>

As she passed some members of the family, their loud chattering turned into silent whispers, their faces turned up in scorn. She placed a little pep to her step and held her head high in confidence.

Not even bothering to tell anyone that she was leaving, she headed in the direction of the front door.

"Leaving like a thief in the night I see", a voice called from behind and Cameron winced when she recognized it.

She slowly turned, her stomach churning when her eyes locked with Marj's cool ones.

She cleared her throat and managed a stiff smile. "It's better this way", she managed warily.

Marjorie's eyes were sad and held disappointment but she nevertheless managed a smile, walking towards Cameron, who fidgeted uncomfortably.

"I don't particularly like your past, but I know everyone makes mistakes and has regrets", she said, stopping before her.

Cameron was a bit speechless, not at all expecting her to be so calm about it.

She swallowed. "I'm sorry you had to find out the way you did", she said.

Marjorie shrugged. "We all know Emily dear". She placed a hand on Cameron's cheek. "Nate is angry now, but he'll come around soon", she smiled, gently patting her cheek in reassurance.

Cameron smiled, thinking otherwise. She turned to leave.

"Cameron!", she called out again and she paused.

"We'll meet again under better circumstances", she smiled and Cameron nodded, wishing it were true.